Shiiko Show full post »
iceheartx
well, it's using a db of some kind in the background
so a query language shouldn't be totally out of the picture.

but the "structure" idea is one I've been pushing too with my "templates"

----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
jostber
- The possibilty to copy a thought with notes to a text document, and the possibility to merge thoughts with notes
- Search and replace for thoughts
- The possibility to select links, and have an option to set link type for all. And more versatile link labels.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
An upgrade motivator will also be if version 5 would be released some time.

wcmedows

One feature I have wanted for a while relates to a suggestion I sent in about 5 months or so back. That is to have a set of either API's or adapters for Blogs.

I would like to have each though in my brian be a blog entry. (And the previously mentioned time and reporting would be critical for this capability.)

I would like to be able to use the notes section of a thought to save the initial draft of my blog, and when I have finalized it, right click on the thought and publish it to any of a series of feeds/blog posting sites.

This would necessitate the ability to reach out and connect to a blog and pull back in the structure of the blog entries that are there, so that you can be sure to post under the appropriate topic or heading.

This comes back to the concept of having a good spidering function... So once again, flip the switch back to enabling the spidering function.

Hey this is starting to sound like a great content management tool... hmmm...

WC
Shiiko
Are you motivated to upgrade by V5?

Unfortunately, I am not.  V5 brings a few nice gimmicks but nothing meaty.    My feeling is that a bigger step forward was expected.  For me there are no 'must have's', just a few 'nice-to-have's' .

This is not criticism; it is meant to be feedback.   That is why I ask others if they feel that this version will be worth doling out cash (anything above U$35) for an upgrade, or not. 

jostber
I miss linking together brains, and better filtering options.

zenrain
Good question. In it's current iteration (and using your above $35 price point), I'd have to say no.

Unfortunately, coming from a Mac I may be a bit spoiled on the tagging front, and with it's current implementation and inability to search on multiple tags it's simply not useful to me.

The saved expanded view has been needed, but it's still not enough of a motivator, and I've been using PB long enough that I don't need to import much.

Finally I'm disappointed in the lack of any enhancements for Macs (and in fact Linux and Windows got a feature that currently isn't available to mac users).

However, I'm also keeping in mind the huge leaps in functionality PB had between 4.0.0 and 4.5. If they keep up their rate of development I'll upgrade just to support continued improvements.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Dryopithecus
I have to say I agree with Shiiko and zenrain.
jostber
I will upgrade, because I think the new functionality are important to PB and could be built further upon to more effective use of the application. I also think that all my feature suggestions should be implemented in short time.

Shiiko
Look, PB has come a long way.  Their track record for innovation and improvement is clear to me.   Just like Jostein, I would like to help support their future growth because it would benefit me and many others (an emotion based purchase).   Perhaps I would  upgrade (depending on how high is the price), regardless of whether or not they meet all current expectations (which are enhanced only because they have given us allot of goodies).  But a reality check is also good for the PB team.   No one  wants to pay for an upgrade that is not justified (even more so in today's global financial situation) . 

nw
The functionality included in V5 so far seems to be designed to increase the appeal to first time users - import of other file formats and providing a 'more familiar' outline view. The rest of it seems incremental and more appropriate to V4.6 than V5. OK, so the tagging has to potential to be a good new feature but still needs more work.
grave
The new version looks like a 4.6 or 4.7 (ok, maybe like 4.8 and PB always has the potential), but now neither does not look like anything fundamentally new. And the announced $75 upgrade price is too high. Why raise the price for users have already paid a good price and have shown their loyalty. These users would be happy to buy all of the following upgrade if their price would be adequate. And with such a pricing policy may be losing some good old users.
jostber
I believe there will be a lot more functionality in version 5 before it is launched in the final release version. Just as with version 4. The Brain team only needs a lot of our input!

Shiiko
Shiiko wrote:

... a couple of the items that would motivate me to upgrade to v5.
-----
1. Memory improvement
Motivator - a significant reduction in the utilization of not only PB memory but more importantly computer processor memory.

Non-Motivator - Keeping the actual memory usage level, or worse, increasing the memory usage level.

Caveat - I could perhaps be motivated to upgrade (if keeping the actual memory usage level) if there was some (currently unknown) significant feature offering. Small feature modifications would not be a motivator.

PB is the only software on my computer that I periodically have to shut-down because of memory usage escalation.    To the moment, 5006, I don't see any feature that would motivate me to part with U$75 while keeping the memory usage as is.    I'm actually apprehensive about BT adding new features that may use even more memory.   I don't want to add tags because I'm concerned that they will then be indexed, causing more memory to be used.  (I have 1GB RAM on a T42 Thinkpad)

Harlan, don't know how you are allocating programming resources but it seems to me that this should be a focus area, for the life of the product.

Happy Thanks Giving!   We do give thanks to your team for their effort. 
BHurd
I have to say that, while $75 might seem a bit high, I will plunk it down as soon as the beta period for 5 is done.  I have software that we have paid $25,000 for and can't get the guy to change the label on a command button inside of a year (let alone, without paying change fees).  The pb team took a full feature suggestion I made in July and made it a reality inside of 4 months. 

Don't care who you are, that's a bargain!!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software