Shiiko Show full post »
zenrain
As of 5.0.0.9 my answer has changed to an emphatic yes.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
nw
When PB5 beta first came out I was skeptical esp when I heard the upgrade price, but I think we have now reached the tipping point (5.0.0.9) and PB5 represents a major increase in functionality warranting the version number increment and associated premium.

Of course my comments have absolutely nothing to do with the fact two of my feature requests made it into V5 .
gcoulthard
I'm still not there. For me, the upgrade between 3.0 and 4.0/4.5 was a no-brainer. The feature enhancements (it seems to me anyway) between 4.5 and 5.0 are more user-specific -- iow, the value of the added features depend on how you are personally using PB. And, I'm currently skeptical of parting with $75 for features I may never use.

Time will tell though.

[EDIT:] I've been using an early 5.0 beta and just upgraded to 5.0.0.9 after reading the New Features PDF posted by Harlan. Darn, now I have to re-evaluate my stance. Reading how people are envisioning using tags is also very persuading. Hmm...
DChild

>>...what would motivate, or not, PB users to upgrade to a new version...<<

1)  Blind faith.  Personal Brain been useful and interesting enough up to now, and I believe the company has a vision for the future that goes beyond continuing development of a software product.

2)  If 1) didn't exist, then an API would be sufficient cause to reach into the wallet.

Shiiko
TIME TO UPGRADE or BUY PB!!!

My view is  that the latest releases with memory improvement have tipped the scale towards getting on-board.  It was a challenge having a bunch of features while PB crawled or consumed my computer´s memory.   It seems that the memory issue has now been dominated, making the software a platform for feature expansion (development side) and thought expansion (user side). 

As Obama said today: "Greatness is never a given. It must be earned,"

Through their efforts PB has earned my financial vote.

Congratulations to PB development!

PS: To the whiners that complain that PB does not do this or that, the news is, yes, PB does not brew coffee!   Please, just stick to organizing your thoughts; that alone is what this software is all about.

zenrain
There's a undocumented registry hack that you can do to make PB brew coffee. However, if you use Folgers it will cause PB to crash.
I wouldn't try enabling the laundry feature at this point. It puts bleach in with the darks.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar

Shiiko wrote:
PS: To the whiners that complain that PB does not do this or that, the news is, yes, PB does not brew coffee!   Please, just stick to organizing your thoughts; that alone is what this software is all about.

But for many of us, without coffee, there is no thought! To organize thoughts, one must start with brewing coffee, and to keep organizing thoughts, we must continue to have a steady flow of coffee!
-Darkstar
Shiiko
Darkstar wrote:

Shiiko wrote:

But for many of us, without coffee, there is no thought! To organize thoughts, one must start with brewing coffee, and to keep organizing thoughts, we must continue to have a steady flow of coffee!

See, that's a real limitation of our human brains (the need for coffee) and the reason why we need an external brain.
ruebel
OUTLOOK!, OUTLOOK!, OUTLOOK!.

Sync with Outlook Calendar and Tasks. The cal in the brain is so limited. I know it's new but so is a lot of other strong features of vss 4 and 5.

Synching with lesser used PIMs and iCal clients can come later.

Right now and for the forseeable, Outlook rules the organizational space and only the brain is close by, why not bring them together. Heck Procter and Gamble moved entirely to Outlook from Notes. This is just a microcosm of the rest of the world.

Thanks!

Ron J
CaptainJustice
Shiiko wrote:

PB is the only software on my computer that I periodically have to shut-down because of memory usage escalation.   

I'm running 5.x on a trial basis and have had it open, using it at a moderate pace, and it has not crept up at all. Still under 100mb.
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
mbaas
Yes, I think the recent releases seem to have removed the issue for most users.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software