kaz
First off, I'd like to say that I'm very excited about this program (great job with the visual design!).  It's exactly what I've been looking for, but before I start fully using it, there are some issues that could be addressed...

The text behavior is very flaky and unpredictable in the "Notes" area:
  1. Selected text becomes deselected whenever I try to change the font from the pull down menu.
  2. The font often wants to revert back to "Arial."
  3. The font pull down menu should be more consistent. If text with multiple font styles is selected, it currently displays the last used font. To be consistent with its behavior of showing the font of the selected text, it should either gray out or show something like "multiple typefaces selected."

I write a lot in Japanese, and I can input that in TheBrain for the most part except for one big annoyance. For some reason, whenever I create a new thought (in the left area), the input method reverts back to English. Is there a way to make the input method stick throughout the use of the application?

Some additional recommendations:
  1. There should be a preference for a default font in the "Notes" area.
  2. Easily accessible programmable styles (e.g., font and size) would be great.
  3. Instead of using "control" for shortcuts (PC convention), the "command" key is standard on the mac (so "undo" would be command-z and not control-z).
  4. Every command should have a shortcut key (especially for the different views).
zenrain
Default fonts and sizes can be set in either the notes.css file in your personal brain folder. If you are comfortable with creating .css files, you can do a heck of a lot more, and if not, you can download a trial of CSSEdit to at least get you started.

I hear you on the strange font behavior when selecting, I usually end up going into the HTML view and fixing it there.
The Keybindings are a current enhancement request, fingers crossed it will make it into the 4.1 release.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
kaz
Excellent!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give CSSEdit a try!

Kaz
kaz
OK, I've solved my text formatting issues using CSS (it's quite a bit of fun!).

I still have an issue with the input method not sticking when adding thoughts, so please try to fix that for the next release.

Thanks!
Dryopithecus
kaz wrote:
OK, I've solved my text formatting issues using CSS (it's quite a bit of fun!).

I still have an issue with the input method not sticking when adding thoughts, so please try to fix that for the next release.

Thanks!

Hi kaz,

I guess maybe the problem is caused by your input method. I write a lot in chinese, my input method can stick when adding thoughts. I use Google Pinyin input method.

My software configuration:
- PB 4.0.x
- Java 1.6.0_02-b06
- Windows Vista 32-bit (English version)

Regards, Yang
Dryopithecus
Oh, sorry! I missed the part that you are using a Mac OS.
Harlan
Re: command versus control keys... On the Mac, both should work. (Command+X = Cut, etcetera)
Regards,
-Harlan
wadesmart
I know this is a old thread and its on a different OS but I was having the same issue. I wanted the Notes area to have a different default font, Arias over Arial, so after finding this thread, I changed the css files for notes. When I restarted the software the font did not change. 

Im on Ubuntu 13.10.
zenrain
The css file functionality decreased significantly several releases ago. You should now be able to choose the default font for notes under the Note tab File > Set Default Notes Style.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software