Darkstar
Greetings!

Lots of graphical issues in my first run of the new version 6.0.5.1.

50% of all icons are not shown. That is, they are just black squares. Not a good impression for a new version.

Second problem: When it converted my 5.5 brain to its standards, it doesn't have ANY wallpaper. Should show the wallpaper of older brains (when possible).

Not a good start for the new version. But I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets better.

-Darkstar
Darkstar
Further info:

All the jpg wallpapers I've used in 5.5 fail as wallpapers in 6.

This is very disappointing, as it is not only a loss of functionality, but it is a major visual element, making it easier to use PB.

The picture IS shown as icon, and the plex does zoom in on it, so the fact that the plex won't display it as wallpaper is perplexing.
-Darkstar
Darkstar

It took 8 seperate times of saying "Set as Wallpaper" before PB 6 finally set the picture as wallpaper. That is seriously messed up. No changes to the picture file whatsoever, nor changes to brain in PB!

-Darkstar
Darkstar
Further info: The color schemes of the version 5.5 are not being read/imported when they are coverted to version 6.
-Darkstar
Darkstar
And--- wallpaper is lost on load of brain. But Not EVERY load. Wallpaper was displayed correctly on the FIRST load of the brain with wallpaper following it finally working. The second reload, wallpaper is again gone.
-Darkstar
Darkstar

And --- colors and wallpaper lost on load.

This is very irritating behavior. Makes a potental customer wonder what other data Personal Brain is losing, if it cannot maintain basic data like wallpaper and color choice between brain loads or sessions. This is cosmetic behavior, but needs priority as it reflects extremely poorly on the product.
-Darkstar
mcaton
Darkstar,

Thank you for bringing this all to our attention.  We've recently become aware of some wallpaper issues in the latest release, of which I'm sure these issues are related.  We'll add your discovery to our testing.

Thank you,
Matt
Cornan
Darkstar, I should tell you wallpaper is also lost on a brain rename ()

Already reported in a separate thread and acknowledged by Matt.

Darkstar
I had a chance to do some further testing this weekend.

Here are my observations:

* Converting a brain from 5.5 to 6.0 always loses wallpaper, regardless of if personal brain is running in Trial mode or registered Pro. Converting a brain with a wallpaper will confuse PB so it continues to have issues displaying wallpaper in any brain loaded afterward in the same *session*. Workaround: Exit PB and restarting it will result in brains with wallpaper assigned to them being propely displayed.
* While in Trial mode, PB has problems with displaying any wallpaper (tested on Windows XP (all SP and patches) and Windows Vista Home Premium (all patches)). Assign a wallpaper. plex flickers. Sometimes, wallpaper is there. Sometimes it won't be. What seems to be happening is PB is sizing the wallpaper for the NORMAL client window. Wallpaper sometimes shows at this point, on systems under a heavy workload. Then, in TRIAL mode, PB resizes non-client area with Trial gadget on right. This causes the client plex to blank. Somtimes, the wallpaper is successfully resized again, and stays. Most of the time, it doesn't. Systems not under a heavy load just "blink" due to coming up in normal/registered mode and then resizing the non-client area and displaying the Trial gadget.

The lost colors seem related to converting an older brain with wallpaper, but I need further testing to make sure.

The lost icons seem to be that PB 6 merely needs to reacquire the icons.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software