zenrain
In the past few releases I've noticed that if the laptop is not at a full charge, and is plugged in, the battery % will not increase while TheBrain 9 is running.

Also, when TheBrain 9 is active, the fans go into high gear. 

I realize this is still beta and there are changes and optimizations to still be made, but I'm pointing it out as currently it seems to be going much much higher than necessary.

EnergyImpact.png 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Zen,

Thanks for sharing!  I'll pass this info onto the team.

Thank you,
Matt
lunatrix
Yes I also noticed this last night - it was making my MBP run so hot I couldn't hold it on my lap any more. It used to do that in earlier versions but till now I have found TB9 to be far better.
Harlan
Yes, we spent quite a bit of time optimizing this. There must have been a recent change that is causing this again. We'll track it down and get down again.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Same issue here on my macbook pro. It is idling in the background.

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 7.06.23 AM.png 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Dan,

Can you verify that is correct? Please check again and make TB is not doing a sync or something, then be sure to give the activity monitor time to update (30 seconds or so). While something about the activity level in the background has increased slightly, it should still be in the sub 10% range.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Here's a current shot. I've not see it go below 108% today.
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 7.59.01 AM.png 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
danlandrum
Here's one more. I just went into my office and opened TB9 on my iMac. It looks like it is barely touching the processor on this machine. Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.37.54 AM.png 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Dan, the number on your iMac is what I would expect. The 200% number is from your laptop? Can you try closing TB, then re-opening it and opening it, then wait a few minutes and check the number again? I'd like to learn if it is going straight to such high usage immediately or if there is some event that it raising it. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Interesting. As you suspected, after closing then reopening TB9 on my laptop (where I'm typing now), it opened at around 100% then quickly settled down to the 15 to 25% range while idling. Clicking a thought bumps it back up to over 100% for a few seconds, then it settles back down again. Searching seems to create no appreciable large hit. I'll leave it running in the background for a while tomorrow, and see what happens. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
Ok, I just checked my activity usage and it's normal again also. I have rebooted my MacBook since my original post. Perhaps it's related to upgrading? I know I shut down and restarted TheBrain multiple times when first testing the energy issue, and it was still occurring. I had noticed it after first upgrading to 9.0.136. 

I'll check energy usage after the next release comes out and I do an automatic upgrade, and see if it occurs again.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum
Mine is staying normal now as well. All good here and hovering around 15%. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software