roblumba
One of the biggest limitations I see of the current brain is being able to dynamically view children with a specified set of common parents.

My example is very specific to the type of research I'm doing, but you could probably apply this to many other fields.

I want to put new leaf thoughts into bins that are classified according to the following branches in the brain.

Classification by Topic
The Religious Theological Abstracts Classification system is a multi-tiered way of classifying information. It has up to four levels of topics. Main Topics -> Subtopics1 -> Subtopics2 -> Subtopics3.

Classification by Author
I would Create a variety of author names. This would be a fairly flat view.

Classification by Leaf Thought Type
This would also be relatively flat, but could be multi-leveled. For example,

Book -> Hardback, Paperback, eBook
Internet -> Website, Article
Audio -> MP3, CD

So now let say I want to see all the Books by an Author, and pertaining to a particular topic. I would want to display the children that are common to those three parents.

Or let's say I want to see all thoughts by an Author, pertaining to a topic, regardless of the type.

Personal Brain doesn't have the ability to quickly filter based on the parents. It doesn't have the ability to show a subset of the brain based a set of parent names.

This would be a powerful way to filter down the thousands of thoughts. I know of one other person, in the research and academic world who has requested a similar feature from Personal Brain. He didn't even tell me he had asked the same thing until I pointed out this weakness to him! So I know there are probably plenty of others who would love to see this same capability.

Spacenexus
Maybe some related discussion here: http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=1743375
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
roblumba
That discussion is loosely related, but it wouldn't do what I had outlined above.
zenrain
Agreed, this functionality would be very useful.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
roblumba
The problem with your method is the scalability simply is unreasonable and the organization of it is unreasonable. The classification scheme that I'm using will have well over a 100 nodes and they are multi-level. The number of authors would be well over 100. It's unreasonable to try to manage that with so many tags. And when you add the tags to the thought, it can easily clutter up the user interface, so it then becomes essential to hide tags. Well, now that your tags are hidden, you loose all visual ability? Furthermore, rellying on tags to organize your data has put you back in a flat method of organizing data. You no longer are utilizing the plex or the mind-map benefits.

Furthermore, the idea of creating a corresponding tag with the same name for each parent node just screams that this is a hack. Why should I have to create a tag that is a duplicate of the information I already entered into the plex? This is very inefficient to have to create duplicate informaton just to workaround the limitation of the Brain.

The only real solution is to be able to do as I mentioned. The brain needs the capability to display the children common to parents. Imagine something like the Crawl Brain and Modify Selection that is able to crawl down the tree of a selection of parent thoughts, going childward and then it displays the child thoughts that are common to those selected parents. That would what I'm talking about!

An advanced Crawl Brain and Modify Selection with better display features. Instead of adding selection, it could add to an Expanded View so that you can get a view of the selection from an Expanded View.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software