FransJehoul
Good evening,

Personal brain doesn't have this kind of links but that's not necessary. 

I use a few virtual links (between thoughts that have no immediate relation) but where i think i need them. They work very fine in expanded mode!

Virtual =
  •  +/- the same color as the background
  • The link type is called virtual.
For me this must not be implemented as a function of PB, i already use this.

Regards,

Frans
Darkstar
Are you using them for graphic reasons (to keep thoughts from flying apart on the plex in Expanded View) or for Information Organization reasons? I use the occassional temporary link to keep multiple thought nexus together while I'm doing analysis from time to time.

I also have no problem linking disimilar thoughts--- if I have a reason to link "Dog Care" to "Bayesian Filters", I'll make the link. It might be something related to what I'm working on, or it might be just something I came across and want to come back to later--- and I'm too busy to put it into its normal spot and my pin bar is to mixed up at the moment to easily link it to the "Frequently Used" hub pin (and then unlink from the active thought complex). Nothing wrong with the occassional crazy, weird, or "out of place" links.
-Darkstar
zenrain
Thank you, that's a great idea. I currently have only one link type -  Primary. I've set it with a bright color and thickened the width to use it for delineating the main relationship out of a group of links / thoughts.
This will be another useful tool in my arsenal. I really like that you defined a color to have it blend in.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
FransJehoul
Good morning,

Darkstar: i have 2 reasons for using virtual links:
  • Indeed for graphics, organzing, grouping ......
  • A few additional thoughts that gives just extra information.
Zenrain: I have about 20 linktypes
          for example    country   <--(1)---> Travel <----(2)--> Horses
Horses are green  link (2)  horses also green
Travel is blue   link (1) Travel is blue
When i activate Travel is see from travel green links for horse trailing and blue links for all my other travels

I also have named "primary" and "secondary" links but i wish i could give extra information on the links (not linktype)

I have +/- 50 thought types
I have one tag, called it gold to quit find information i need/have/like to review/read/organize them

Like virtual thoughts, i have some other implementations

regards

FransJehoul
Good afternoon,

• How it's called is unimportant.
  • Because the link has no meaning except "just a link between thoughts that have no immediate relation" it is functional different from your "embed one in Notes to another Thought".
  • In expanded mode these links support the organization of the thought with a very good result so i don't need sticky thoughts or saved plex-es.
  • But you can't use them a lot because it becomes contra productive. 
regards,

Frans
zenrain
Thanks Frans for your additional link information, and further descriptions of virtual links. It's given me some more stuff to let percolate through my (wet) brain.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
FransJehoul
good afternoon,

It is a linktype
  • called "virtual", but  you can call it what you want for example "hidden",
  • color is the background color because transparency is not possible
  • It has no meaning in the sense that other linktypes have like "CEO of  company". It is just a link between thoughts that have no immediate relation "
  • It only exists for organizing/grouping/.... thoughts in expanded mode (different "from sort order"
  • Now and than it gives a surplus in the way i use personal brain.
Regards,

Frans
Darkstar
Jump is usually the easiest to understand--- as a jump thought is where I often file "misc" linkages between thoughts/concepts. A jump doesn't necessarily have an "obvious" strong context that using Parent-Child hierarchy usually implies.

As for how I use temp links in expanded--- sometimes, various branches of what I'm interested in are highly separated, but I want them to be visually close, such as I want or need to compare them. So what I'll do is create a jump link between the nexus points I'm interested in. That will bring the two sets of thoughts together on the plex in Expanded View. When I am done, I'll unlink them if they have no further usefulness to me being linked. However, if being linked would remain useful (ie, the same operation call being performed in two different business processes), I'll leave them linked or change their link to something more appropriate for that brain and its context.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software