Reb

Just started using the PB Mac version a few days ago and would like to start a discussion with others who also use VooDooPad.

I can foresee the complementarity of using VooDooPad in concert with PersonalBrain.

Reb

ex-PB3 Windows

nw31304

Just curious to know how you're using VP alongside PB.  I really prefer VP's wiki style for heavy text editing, especially as it auto-discovers references to other pages and creates links out of the referencing text.  Nonetheless, PB's visual interface is unsurpassed.  Have you discovered a way to get the best of both worlds?
Reb
No, I have not found a way to make VP and PB play nice together.  You definitely reflect my own disappointment in trying to get the most out of using these 2 excellent apps.  In fact, I tried to get Gus Mueller (VP) in touch with Harlan (PB).

It would be great to be able to drag a VP page into PB.  I'm also not very happy that one can't paste a graphic into a PB note (Mac version).  This can be done very easily in VP and there is even the ability to print to a pdf that is automatically saved as VP page.

Hope we can keep this thread going because there is a lot of potential synergy if VP and PB can be used together in a more seamless fashion.

Ron

nw31304
As I am heavily text-oriented, Nirvana for me would be for PB to autodiscover links (to Thoughts, presumably) as they are typed in the Notes field the way VP does.  I also have another post outstanding requesting (pleading for, actually) a Spotlight and Quicksilver plugin to PB to allow them to find text in notes and thought titles in a MAC-friendly way (as is done in VP).  How cool would it be to have the PB's notes managed by VP, with the graphical representation of the page/thought interrelationships handled by PB?  I too have become addicted to VP's ability to seamlessly embed arbitrary MAC objects (apps, other documents, photos, etc) in a document by simple drag and drop.
Reb
Sounds like we're on the same wavelength.

Have you tried contacting Gus Mueller at VP?  He's very responsive to the user forum.  I'm sure that more feedback like ours can only make PB a bigger blip on his radar.

Harlan
We'll definately take a close look at VooDooPad based on the enthusiasm here. We're already planning the ability to auto-discover thoughts within Notes and let users click on them... (This was already sort-of working via right click in PersonalBrain 3 for those of you who tried it. The new version fo this will be better in PB4 of course.)

Just to help us out, anyone care to highlight their favorite features of VDP so we know what to look at?

Re: better Mac integration with Spotlight etc, this is something that we will look at in version 4.X. Thanks for the feedback as always.
Regards,
-Harlan
nw31304
I think of VP as a text-oriented version of PB: VP links pages (thoughts) via auto-discovered wiki links whereas PB links thoughts (pages) via links drawn at the GUI.  Same idea.  It just seems to me that a natural synergy would be to recognize thoughts as they are typed in Notes field and convert them to wiki links.  Clicking on one would activate the referenced thought as though you had clicked it via the GUI.  Also, if you are typing in the Notes field of a particular thought and wish to create a new thought, simply pressing a certain function key with the cursor in or immediately following the new word would create a wiki style link to an newly-created, empty thought.  The new thought would be graphically linked to the existing thought, and the type of link (parent, child, sibling) would be determined by the function key pressed.  This is important:  Suppose you have a VP document with several pages, and as you're typing in one of them you decide to turn a frequently occurring word "foo" into a new thought.  Pressing cmd-L creates the new page (thought) "foo", and all references to "foo" in the other pages of the document are converted into links to the new thought.  Now the question is, what types of links exist between the new thought and the other pages that reference "foo".  If the "sibling" function key is used to create the thought, do all references all become sibling links, for example?  Dunno.  Here's a tough one: creating a new thought via the GUI with a particular name ought to behave similarly, with Notes containing the name of the new thought becoming wikis and linking to the new thought.  But I realize that for huge brains that might take forever, so you might defer that and parse Notes of thoughts as they are activated and convert the text to wikis then. Again, Dunno.  What I am certain of is that for text-oriented folks like me, VP is a lifesaver because I frequently forget that a page with a particular name exists, and as I am typing, I am surprised to see it turn into a wiki.  When it does, it jogs my memory and I recall how I referenced that idea or concept in the past.  The bottom line is that PB is superb for representing the interrelationship between concepts graphically, whereas VP excels at doing the same textually.  In contrast, PB's Notes facility does not reflect that interrelationship, and VP (though it has some facilities to show which pages link to a the current page) doesn't have the "heads-up" display that graphically represents the interplay between the pages (thoughts) in one's VP document.  Of course, VP's text and object embedding capability is ridiculously cool, as is PB's graphics.  Seeing PB represent graphically the interrelationship between pages and VP wiki-izing recognized thoughts would be a natural.  I have my checkbook ready.
Harlan

David,

Thank-you for the quick summary. A very interesting analysis indeed. Much appreciated.

We have been playing around with this type of functionality and have some great ideas about how to make the Notes > Plex connection more powerful as you suggested.
Regards,
-Harlan
punkmonksf
Consider my wholehearted support for Voodoo Pad-like implementation as well.

Karekin

lotusone
You can now open a page in VoodooPad from PersonalBrain 

Edit: see zenrain's reply below.  This was already possible from VoodooPad, lol, so the following is irrelevant!

I wrote a small Applescript which I'd like to share with you guys here on my blog.

It copies the name of the active thought from PB to the clipboard, and then opens the page in VoodooPad.

I'm sure you will find many ways to improve it, but it shows what's possible.  

I hope one day that PB will have fine enough granularity to be my only app, which I dreamt about here.

Until then, maybe this will be a workaround.  Enjoy!

Enjoy!!
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
zenrain
Thank you for the script, I'll check it out.

Currently, my main integration point between VP and PB is attaching a link to a PB thought, so when you click on the thought it opens VP to the correct location. I'm not at my Mac, so forgive me if I don't have the exact name of the VP menu option correct, but these steps will allow you to open a VP Page from a PB link.
1. In VP, I believe there is an option under the edit menu to copy link to the page.
2. In PB, on the Properties and Attachments tab, click Add Attachment. Click the Link to URL button.
3. In the URL field, paste the VP hyperlink.
4. (optional) Rename the attachment to something that makes sense

The main limitation with this is that the attached VP page is not indexed in PB, so an extended or advanced search won't allow you to search the contents of the VP page.

Hope this helps.

Edit: And yes, more integration between VP and PB would be awesome.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
lotusone
Ha ha, I guess this post was started with an older version of VP where that was not possible.  So my script was just a convoluted way to accomplish exactly what you did  Thanks for the reply!

btw. i still think that even with both VP and PB, there is still not fine enough control - for one thing, neither allow us to link to anchors within a page.

And, you're right about spotlight - I was thinking since VP files are indexed by spotlight that we'd be in, but I guess PB doesn't follow the URL to the file, doh!!!  Back to the drawing board
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
yewread
I am a doctorate student thinking of how to link theBrain to use it on a havard referencing way... any suggestion?

zenrain
yewread, can you clarify your question a bit more. Are you talking about paranthetical referencing? I would think you could include this in your thought names, but I'm not sure what you are planning on using PB to store.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software