jtapadinhas Show full post »
JEL
Concur too with cneiman & LuizAlfredo on the loss of concept focus.
NickMilner
NewMan wrote:

Hereby suggests include some functionalities from a macos app marginnote. 

I thought about this as well but then came to the conclusion that it's never going to be as good as something like MarginNote or LiquidText, and doesn't have to be. I decided to use LiquidText for "active reading" and I created a thought type to represent each LiquidText project - each thought of this type represents a specific research topic and either contains the source documents as attachments or it links to other thoughts containing them.

Unfortunately, LiquidText doesn't provide any kind of URI reference for projects so I can't link straight from TB to the project itself, but it's not the end of the world.
PaddyVA
@NickMilner I'm interested in how you are using LiquidText and TB. I too have LT, have bought the Pro version on Windows, and have imported about 20 files for further study. Do you define each file as a project, and create a type for it, or is a project made up of a number of files in LT?  How are you using different type names in TB for each project?

I am in process of changing my workflow; I have been saving links to TB Brainbox, then linking them in TB to other thoughts, and also saving them to Pocket.  Many times, the title of the article isn't captured by the TB share process, and I have to access the article again, to copy and paste the article title to the thought.

I'm now starting to just share/save articles to Pocket, then on PC drag and drop from Pocket to a parent thought in TB, bypassing the BrainBox, plus ensuring that I have the full article stored in Pocket, rather than just a link to the original, which can require different signins.

I could also then print from Pocket as a PDF and import into LT for further analysis.
NickMilner
I try and keep things as simple/agile in TB as I can so I just have a type called ":Topic" that I use for thoughts that represent some area of study. I'll typically attach supporting files, URLs etc. within the topic and put my summary thoughts in the notes. I can then link to this thought when required. I don't typically paste things like documents and URLs as separate thoughts but rather bundle them together as attachments in a single concept. This reduces clutter and helps keep things focused.

If it's a complex topic where I need to use LiquidText to help me crystalise my ideas then I will open the Thought Folder and open one of the PDFs with LiquidText to create the new LiquidText project. If you select multiple files you end up with multiple projects which I don't want.

I tag the topic thought with #LiquidText so I have a visual indication that a LiquidText project exists related to it, and rename the LQ project to have the same name as the thought so I know exactly what is what. Unfortunately, you can't just paste a link to the LiquidText project directly into the thought - you can save the whole project back to the thought folder and that works, but when you double-click to open it later you get asked if you want to overwrite the existing one or make a new one and I'm always concerned that I'll end up in version hell - really I just want a link but you can't do that.

I can then go into the newly created project, open the sidebar and add all the other files I need from the thought folder and then get on with the hard part. 😉

When I'm done I export my Notes Outline as a .docx file and attach it to the thought. Unfortunately, you can't just paste the results directly into the thought notes because the formatting and images get lost on the way.

And that's it.
  • One TB thought for one LQ project
  • Add all the attached files and URLs from the thought folder to the LQ project
  • Export the notes at the end
PaddyVA
@NickMilner Thank you for the extended and clear explanation; I'll try to adopt your approach. I note that you've commented in another post that "all my types begin with a colon" and I wondered if this is a personal choice to flag a Type, or if there is another use I've missed.  I checked TB 11 manual and didn't find any special use of colon, and checked @metta MegaBrain hints and tips at https://app.thebrain.com/brains/9638c632-43f1-4553-b38d-87af401455d5/thoughts/a10e1c7c-1a1c-47f5-b1f9-9ea2b496fcbc/notes .

edit: Thanks @NickMilner ; your comments and description following are great, and much appreciated!
NickMilner
Just something I thought would be useful.
  • Types start with :
  • Tags with #
Tags and types are all configured in hierarchies under "#All Tags" and ":All Types" so it's easy to see the whole structure simply by looking at the Plex.

I also use prefixes in labels on key thought types:
  • People with @
  • Sales opportunities with $
  • Booked projects with !
  • Companies with =
  • Research topics with ?
  • Product names with *
E.g. I might have a company called "Frodo Corp" with the label "=Frodo Corp". Whenever I want to go to or link to that one specific thought representing the root of that company's tree I can just type "=fr" and I'll be prompted with only one search result "Frodo Corp". Also, I can use the "comma trick" to create context-sensitive children below "Frodo Corp" without them inheriting the prefix and therefore themselves appearing in the search results and destroying the effect.

It's a really useful accelerator because I find in practice there are only a limited number of entry points I use to access my brain (where I don't already have pins or events) and they all have a prefix that brings them right to the surface. E.g. if I want to go a Frodo Corp sales opportunity I'm working on, I can type "$fr" and I immediately get only the root thought of that sales opportunity and nothing else. If I want to link it to my colleague "Fred Bloggs" I can simply drag out a link, type "@fr" and I'll get only "Fred Bloggs" to choose from and not, for example "Frodo Corp" itself. And because there's only one search result I can simply press the down arrow once and then enter to select it.

Hope that makes sense!
LuizAlfredo
NickMilner wrote:
Just something I thought would be useful.
  • Types start with :
  • Tags with #
Tags and types are all configured in hierarchies under "#All Tags" and ":All Types" so it's easy to see the whole structure simply by looking at the Plex.

• People with @
  • Booked projects with !
  • Companies with =
  • Research topics with ?
  • Product names with *
E.g. I might have a company called "Frodo Corp" with the label "=Frodo Corp". Whenever I want to go to or link to that one specific thought representing the root of that company's tree I can just type "=fr" and I'll be prompted with only one search result "Frodo Corp". Also, I can use the "comma trick" to create context-sensitive children below "Frodo Corp" without them inheriting the prefix and therefore themselves appearing in the search results and destroying the effect.

It's a really useful accelerator because I find in practice there are only a limited number of entry points I use to access my brain (where I don't already have pins or events) and they all have a prefix that brings them right to the surface. E.g. if I want to go a Frodo Corp sales opportunity I'm working on, I can type "$fr" and I immediately get only the root thought of that sales opportunity and nothing else. If I want to link it to my colleague "Fred Bloggs" I can simply drag out a link, type "@fr" and I'll get only "Fred Bloggs" to choose from and not, for example "Frodo Corp" itself. And because there's only one search result I can simply press the down arrow once and then enter to select it.

Hope that makes sense!

Very Good Ideas. Thanks for sharing.
L.A.G.M.
Rob2050
Very interesting!
NickMilner
Seriously, the prefix label trick is an absolute godsend; it's like Spotlight or Alfred for TB because it gets you exactly where you want to be, instantly.

I hear Microsoft is adding a similar launcher bar to Windows and I guarantee that Windows folks who've never experienced the joys of the MacOS launcher bar (or, even better, Alfred) will absolutely love it. 🙂

I made a suggestion to the dev team that they extend the type system to allow you to specify a prefix character directly in the type itself. That would let us get the instant search effect without having to re-purpose the label field. However, it's not the end of the world because you can add anything you want on the end of the label anyway...

For example, in my example Frodo Corp sales opportunity, the name might be "Frodo Corp, 0000uSqN8DIO" (the ID is a SalesForce ID) but the label can be "$Frodo Corp - my big deal worth megabucks". There's no need to copy the entire name into the label field because the idea is to locate it in only a couple of keypresses or so - certainly before you ever get to the end of the company name. That means I can still use the label for something meaningful.

Another good use for this is nicknames. If I have a colleague called "Jean-Francois Charbonneau" and about ten other people whose names start "Jean" in some way, I could set his label to "@JFC" and now when I enter "@jfc" into a search box I'm presented with "Jean-Francois Charbonneau" immediately.

To complete this I've asked the dev team whether it would be possible to show the label in pop-up tooltips instead of the name. E.g. if I have more than one sales opportunity with Frodo Corp I will only see the cryptic names in the search box, and right now if you hover the mouse over one of them a handy tooltip pops up but only showing the name again! I can already see the name! 🙂 If it showed the label it would be much more useful.

P.S. I keep the names short so that you don't end up with really long names after a couple of levels of children using the "comma trick." If you're ok with that then by all means make the names meaningful and you won't have this problem.
Xavier
NickMilner wrote:

• People with @
  • Booked projects with !
  • Companies with =
  • Research topics with ?
  • Product names with *

Thank you for sharing ideas and tips 👍. I will enrich my classification system with some of these ideas.

On the other hand, for the TB team, make sure that the label is (finally) taken into account in Web searches!

As a reminder to the TB team, it has been identified as a bug since 2018 : https://forums.thebrain.com/post/label-amp-searching-442-9737465?highlight=label&pid=1306050231
NewMan
Good idea

NickMilner wrote:

I thought about this as well but then came to the conclusion that it's never going to be as good as something like MarginNote or LiquidText, and doesn't have to be. I decided to use LiquidText for "active reading" and I created a thought type to represent each LiquidText project - each thought of this type represents a specific research topic and either contains the source documents as attachments or it links to other thoughts containing them.

Unfortunately, LiquidText doesn't provide any kind of URI reference for projects so I can't link straight from TB to the project itself, but it's not the end of the world.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software