reasonablekamikaze
Yo yo,

I add books as tags to TB and use a specific format as followed:

• The One Thing [2013 | Gary Keller]

However, when I create the thought, TB cuts off everything after the '|' but also adds an extra visual attribute on the screen. I can't describe what it is, it's like a sub-thought? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Best to depict with screenshots...

tb 1.jpg 

tb 1.5.jpg 

tb 2.jpg 

Anyone ever seen this before? lol
metta
@reasonablekamikaze ~

This is actually the intended behavior.

What you are seeing after the pipe symbol is called the Thought Label.
> It serves as a convenient way of adding and displaying supplemental, searchable info about the thought.
> You'll see this label under the thought name in the Thought Properties Display (i.e., the expanded dialogue box for naming thoughts).

As I understand it, the idea was for users to be able to create the thought name and thought label at one time by demarcating the label with the pipe symbol:
> Thought Name | Thought Label

Unfortunately, for people like you and me who have been using the pipe as part of our thought naming strategy, this new "feature" has created inconvenient complications.

My workaround for this has been to enter my thought names this way
> Thought Name > More Name

Then I go back change this symbol > to the pipe symbol.

Kind of a nuisance, but it works.

Which prompts me now to request that this use of the pipe symbol as a demarcation for the thought label be changed to a preference setting that could be turned OFF.
reasonablekamikaze
What on earth... thanks @metta !

Is this a new feature? Never seen this before. And yes, the formatting is annoying—just like not being able to use -- or --- in the notes editor. 🤨
GaryW
It’s a feature that’s been around for some time. I’ve developed the habit of using the pipeline to add a Thought Label. Probably a case of technology driving human behaviour when it really should be the other way around...

Life is what happens when we are busy making other plans.

2019 Mac 3.1GHz i5 16GB RAM: Catalina v10.15.5, Safari v13.1, Chrome 83.0.4103.97; 2018 iPad Pro: iOS v13.5.1

DavidGretzschel
The symbol (or String) to use this label shortcut should be settable.
It's okay if it's | by default, but it should be changeable to ||| or !|! or any other string. Or something you could turn off completely.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton
David,

Thanks, I'll document the option to change the pipe symbol, but it may be harder than it sounds.  The pipe symbol can not only be used when creating a new individual thought with at Thought Label, but can also be used when importing an outline or shows up in many URL titles when dragging/dropping in a web page...

Thanks,
Matt
DavidGretzschel

@mcaton
Well no, I think the pipe symbol isn't bad per se. A good default really.

(somewhat complex solution)
What I was asking for was the ability for the user to change the Label-seperator to something else, as needed.
(way too complex solution)
Or even to make the Label-seperator a multicharacter string, like "sep" or whatever.
However most problems could instantly be solved by:
(pragmatic solution)
the feature being turn-offable like spellcheck (which gets similarly annoying quickly if you're using multiple languages within the same Note).

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@reasonablekamikaze &@DavidGretzschel  & @mcaton ~

Simply having the option to turn this off would also work for me. Ã°Å¸â„¢â€š

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software