Cxiym Show full post »
metta
They are off, when set to max left/fast. If you move the slider only a little bit to the right, you notice a very big difference. Maybe I'm blind and should check with a slowmo capture, but I'm pretty sure.
 @DavidGretzschel ~ Thanks for the additional feedback, David. I'll take a closer look at these speed adjustments soon....
Cxiym
@mctrexler

Good to now I'm not alone in trying to figure out how to optimise a megabrain.

I'm surprised to hear you can activate a Type with 500 thoughts in an instant. I've realised that working with Types for me is somehow incredibly slow on PC compared to Mac, even with much higher specs.

Are you working on PC or Mac?

@metta

Thanks for the link, it does offer some valuable insight into the issues I'm facing.

As to having no attachments, there are no attached files or links to anything outside of TheBrain itself, nor have I moved anything from outside into my Brain

@mcaton

Thanks for the advice about keeping the window smaller. It does help to a degree, but even if it's a little faster, loading a small section of large thoughts still takes around 3-5 seconds

I'm using TheBrain 11 on both Mac and PC, and I recently upgraded to PC hoping it would dramatically improve the performance.

Unfortunately it seems that loading large thoughts/ types on PC is much slower than on Mac by about 2-3x times, even with considerably better specs on my PC. Performance is much improved/ smoother in all other areas, though. Overall, I'm not currently sure if its worth the trade off.

Is there any way to know if things could be improved on the hardware side? For example, might investing in the Intel Optane 600p series of ssds make a significant improvement due to the high random read/ write speed? Or are these issues more due to the limitations of current gen GPUs?

Also, might I take this opportunity to feature request an option that allows you to lower the graphics (overall image quality) in exchange for better performance, just like in many modern video games? This seems to be a function of TheBrain itself, as playing around with lower resolutions from 4k down to 1080p doesn't make a difference in loading times at all

@DavidGretzschel and @metta

Apologies, I shouldn't have used the term 'animations' as I see now it was misleading. I meant the speed of rendering in general such as moving the cursor over thoughts/ links to make them light up, making selections, etc

Based on TheBrain's terminology, I don't have any animations turned on.
metta
Very helpful feedback, @Cxiym! Thanks so much for taking time to follow-up.
mctrexler
@Cxiym 

Following up on your question, I'm running PC 11.44 on a 3+ year old laptop, so nothing special on the hardware side.  

My type with about 500 thoughts does come up almost instantly (maybe a second).  I have a type with thousands of thoughts, takes about 3 seconds.

Just FYI, I have a triple monitor settup.  The numbers above are for my main Brain monitor, a largish Samsung TV monitor, relatively low resolution.    

I did just test the same two Types on my high resolution Dell monitor, and the laptop monitor.  My first test (500 thoughts) no discernible difference.  Second test, thousands) went from 3 to 5 seconds on both monitors.  

Mark
Cxiym

@mcaton 

It seems that the TheBrain 9 is blazing fast for me compared to versions 10 and 11, with large thoughts with hundreds of children loading near instantly, at 1 - 2 seconds max, even at 4k resolution and at fullscreen, with no discernable difference in image quality. For comparison, a particularly large thought that takes up to half a minute to load in v10 and 11 (tested) loads in about a second in v9.

This is close to the level of performance I was hoping for when I transitioned from mac to pc, especially with the specs I currently have.

It almost feels as if in v9, the entire brain is loaded up at once from the beginning, so that transitioning between large thoughts is instant and seamless, whereas in v10/11, each one has to be loaded/ rendered from scratch with every single transition, making going forward and back between large thoughts a nightmare.

Is there some major difference between the way TheBrain renders the plex in version 9 vs 10/11, that uniquely allows version 9 to scale with and take full advantage of hardware improvements?

@mctrexler

Thanks for the elaboration, Mark
mctrexler
@Cxiym 

Presumably you're using the identical Brain for testing in 9, 10, 11?  I've seen response times get better in 11, and TB has said that was definitely a part of the TB11 build (apparently particularly for the Mac). 

I'd love to know if anyone has ever tested Brain performance with 10,000 thoughts but no links, and the same 10,000 thoughts organized via 50,000 links? Would tell us something useful, and could keep testing from there.    
Cxiym
@mctrexler 

yeah, using the same brain, tested with same few thoughts. I have recorded two videos for comparison and sent them to support to identify if there's some sort of bug/ error with my brain. I hope I don't have to rebuild my brain from scratch all over again. Can also confirm that v11 runs faster for me on mac than on pc, with the exact same brain, even with much lower specs on my mac
DavidGretzschel
@mctrexler
I have put Thought>create Thought on F5. I think that's a great position for that keybinding.
I think the command should be called "Thought>create new Orphan" really.
It's a bit wonky as it immediately creates a new Thought, taking the name from the search-box.

So a script to get a big unlinked Brain like that, would just have to loop:
type "this is a decently long thought", F5
for 50k times.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Spacenexus
@mcaton

For PC's, can you comment on whether GPU hardware is accessed by TB11 (from within the software or Windows10?). Would this be helpful for either the visualization or accessing data?

Thanks

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Jim,

Thanks for posting. In short, TheBrain is built on WPF. This means that your Windows system will decide if GPU is to be used.

Thanks,
Matt
Spacenexus
Thanks Matt!
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software