GerSch
What are the three main problems in using TB for you? What are your productivity killers?
zenrain
Ok, I'll bite:

1. Getting stuff into TheBrain. It's fine when I'm on my desktop, but I'm on my iPad or iPhone a lot, and adding thoughts to TheBrain from web sites or emails requires me to save the link somewhere else. Then when I'm back at my desktop, I add it to TheBrain. 
  2. Best fit on the tag/type list. Yes this is stupid, but I add types and tags to every thought I create. I only have 10 tags and 37 types, and having to use the mouse to right-click a thought and then browse to the type or tag (hoping your mouse doesn't leave the menu area so it disappears), or having to use the arrow key is really annoying. The ability to type a letter when I'm in the menu to jump to a type with that letter would really, really, really, really help.
  3. Reporting. I'm going to cheat a bit here, and include a few things under this:
  • Custom reports are a pain to activate. Going to All > Custom > Load Custom Report is 3 steps and makes it cumbersome to load a report I've saved. 
  • Structured metadata - We don't have any yet besides types and tags. This would be very nice to standardize and fine tune both the database and reporting capabilities. 
  • Smart Thoughts - We are limited to lists for report results, and have to set the reporting requirements each time. It would be nice to be able to set up a thought as a query, and activating it will show all query results as children.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
enkidu
good initiative !

I can think of one function which TheBrain chronically lacks :

1. automatic views

expanded views currently have to be build MANUALLY.
In a program that marvels for its auto-layout capability, this is simply ridiculous. Optimally (for me) a view should work as follows :

- specify thought A
- specify thought B
- TheBrain creates a view showing the path(s) between them (shortest path highlighted)
- user saves the view as needed

To me, this would be a much more practical feature than the Wander function, which is  slick but less than useful. Proof is the "Queen Elisabeth and the asparagus" example in the v7 USer Guide.

This should not be too hard to implement I suspect.

2. real context-sensitive thought names

As of right now, the usefulness of this feature is stumped by the fact that the name inheritance is not dynamic : if the parent name changes, the child does not, severing the context-sensitiveness (-sensitivity ...?)

I believe this would greatly increase TheBrain's usability

3. allowing Jumps between virtual thoughts

this is more of a nice-to-have. It would instantly transform TheBrain into the best file system navigator known to Man (ok, to me).

I personally would have paid the 99$ just to see my #1 issue implemented.

cheers
enkidu

wordmuse
I love the idea of smart thoughts and I also like the idea of structured metadata - especially if I can create named metadata sets. For instance, I'd have one set of metadata for domains that I own; another set of metadata for books that I read, etc.  So I'd like to be able to create a metadata set called "domains" and another called "books," etc.

I also like the other items in this list.

Good suggestions.
- Bal
J2E
I would like to see the ability to add jump thoughts in an outline import/export.
jostber
1. More easy access to the tag window and content by keyboard, and same for the reports window. For me it is inconvenient and slow to use the mouse for this. This means that I use these functionalies less than what I would like.

2. Access to the past thoughts list and timeline with the keyboard. Reason same as in pt.1.

3. Structured node data: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/forums/4597-thebrain-feature-suggestions/suggestions/70182-node-types-with-structured-meta-data-

Full regex capability in search would also be very useful.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software