perry
Hi, I'm new and trialling The Brain...

I was hoping to use TB for my Dialogue Mapping.  What I'm interested in doing is having a base 'template' which is like an empty brain set up with Thought types, Link types, colours, icons, etc, etc... but only one actual Thought (eg "Main Question").

How I would like it to work is to either in a New Brain, or my main Brain, insert an empty Dialogue Map (which is just types and one thought) and start building from that point.  The "Template" Brain would remain unchanged and any Thoughts would not be linked to the corresponding thoughts in the target Brain.

If it was inserted into a separate Brain I may want to copy some of the Thoughts into the main Brain for further management.

So the question is: What is the best way to do this?
  • Merge the "template" Brain?
  • Import Brain XML?
For example: The Dialogue Mapping ontology is quite strict so icons / types / etc need to be the same between maps, so if starting a new Brain it'd have to be set up with the types / colours / icons /etc.
zenrain
If you want to incorporate the entire Template brain to your new brain I would actually:

1. Create a Brainzip of your template brain (File > Create Brainzip).
  2. Extract your Brainzip to a different folder then your template brain.
  3. Choose File > Rename Brain and name it.
  4. Choose File > Utilities > Assign Brain New Guid (this insures it doesn't conflict with synchronizing to WebBrain with your Template brain).
  5. Choose File and towards the bottom (where it lists your recent databases) choose your template brain to open it again.
  6. Move the .brain file and _brain folder of your new database to where you want it to reside.
  7. Choose File and in the list at the bottom, choose the brain you just created. It will say it didn't find it, and do you want to remove from the list. Say yes (this keeps your list clean).
  8. Choose File > Open Brain and browse to the location you just moved your new brain to.
  9. Dun!
You can easily manually select thoughts and copy them, or export them to TheBrain XML format, but selecting tags and thought types requires manual selection and can take a while. If you don't use types or tags you can just:
  1. From the Report tab, make sure it is set to all and hit the refresh button
  2. Choose Edit > Add Report Results to Selection
  3. On the selection window, right click and choose Copy Selected Thoughts
  4. In your new brain, right click the plex and Paste Thoughts.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
Thanks zenrain...

Would you need to "Assign Brain New GUID" each import?

Is there something after #5 Move?  What's the best way of getting into the current Brain (either the main Brain or a new Brain)?
zenrain
Quote:
Would you need to "Assign Brain New GUID" each import?

Only if you are restoring a brainzip based on your original brain that you are then going to use as a new brain.

Quote:
Is there something after #5 Move?  What's the best way of getting into the current Brain (either the main Brain or a new Brain)?

I've updated the steps above.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
Is there some reason to create a BrainZip rather than just exporting to xml?

I just tried Exporting to xml, changing brains and importing xml and it seemed to work as expected.

Changing location and importing again gave the option to Overwrite, Copy or Skip for the different objects: Not exactly sure what the outcome is for each scenario.

But in the main scenario (inserting a map template) I think it's going to ask about tags and types, as it'll probably just have one Thought (the initial thought)... I guess it needs a bit of experimentation

What's the difference between Merge and import in this scenario??  I can't test Merge as the Trial doesn't support it.
zenrain
Hmmm, I could have sworn exporting the XML forced you to have to select thoughts. I double checked and I was waaaay wrong, that's a better option, you are right. Ignore my brainzip steps.

If you have already have imported the XML to a new brain (so it contains all the thoughts from the template brain), if you want to update thoughts your best bet is the copy thoughts and paste thoughts steps below:
  1. Ctrl + click all the thoughts from the template brain you wish to update/import.
  2. On the selection window, right click and choose Copy Selected Thoughts
  3. In your new brain, right click the plex and Paste Thoughts.
This will give you the option to overwrite the thoughts, links etc with the new information.

Merging brains will also copy all the thoughts over and is probably your easiest option if you decide to upgrade. You open your new brain, choose merge brains and it will ask you to pick the brain to merge. It will then switch over to that brain, copy the thoughts and switch back to your new brain and import the information. Your Template brain will remain the same.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
I was playing with this on the weekend (briefly) and the import seemed to have dropped the link types I'd set up.

Could this be because during setting up the template I created thoughts and then link types, then deleted the thoughts (as they were only to create the link types)?

Or do the link types not get imported?
zenrain
My testing shows that also. It appears that while unused Thought Types make it over in an XML export, unused Link Types do not. 
I'm guessing this is a bug, as the behavior is inconsistent.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software