mrsandbags
Saving a quote by Heraclitus of Ephesus I thought I would check out this timeline thing and add his birth and death as events to the Timeline (literally the first time I've used it).

From the calendar view I was presented with I am guessing this is not the intended use? Can you even add a B.C. calendar date?

I was imagining there would be interesting ways to view timelines (e.g. all events associated to thoughts these tags/types, etc...)

It seems like it's more meant to be some kind of diary/calendar integration and I've really no idea why I'd want that in Brain.

Can someone enlighten me as to the intended use case(s) for the Timeline feature?

Thanks.

Matt
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

enkidu
mrsandbags wrote:

Can someone enlighten me as to the intended use case(s) for the Timeline feature?

Hello Matt. I can *try*

AFAIK, the INTENDED use case, as you well specify, is this :

Version 9.0.149

February 8, 2017

• New Features
    • (#3435) Timeline and Events
      • The timeline displays events that may be associated with thoughts and links.

The recent debate on the other thread is less about the timeline, and more about the nature of events and their relationship to thoughts.

Personally, since time is often an important attribute of data, I do want some form timeline view.
It should complement, not replace, a zoomable map view of the mindmap data

my 2cents
cheers
enkidu
zenrain

Here's how I answered what I'm using timeline for. Second post down p3 (31-45)
So yeah, I guess at this point mostly diary related (sorta). As far as intended use... see above. 

The B.C. Question has come up before, Harlan's answer is here. About 1/3 the way down page 2 (16-30)

These are both in the same thread, the whole thing is actually pretty good, lot's of good information and back and forth sharing of different perspectives, needs and requests.

Update: Aaarg, the share a specific reply in a thread doesn't seem to be working correctly, those links just point back to the whole thread. One sec, I'll see if I can at least get the pages...

Update 2: Page updates added. /sigh That will teach me to try and be helpful. [wink]

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Moltaire
+1 for a historical timeline and not just a dynamic calendar.
mrsandbags
Thanks for the pointers @zenrain, in fact I had skimmed that thread and not really absorbed that point at the time because I hadn't really thought about using the Timeline.

I'm not sure why Harlan bothered to offer that suggestion about B.C. dates as nobody who actually cared about dates would ever considering doing that. I mean in what universe is "just subtract 1,000 every time you see a year" going to work for anyone? Indeed that kind of comment makes me a bit cautious about the timeline rationale.

I confess I am still not really sure what it's creators intend it for. I see a lot of people saying "It doesn't quite work for me because ..." but I'm still trying to figure out what Harlan & co. had in mind when they started designing it.
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU

zenrain
Quote:
I confess I am still not really sure what it's creators intend it for. I see a lot of people saying "It doesn't quite work for me because ..." but I'm still trying to figure out what Harlan & co. had in mind when they started designing it.

Ah, I can provide some perspective on that. When TheBrain 9 was in pre-release, there was a large outcry (proportionately speaking) that there was no equivalent of the v8 and prior calendar tool. I believe that the Timeline view was created to address that outcry / complaint and while doing so, revisited the whole tool itself in an attempt to improve the functionality/usability of the original v8 and prior Calendar. 
While there are still missing features, I believe to this extent they have been very successful. Does it meet every need? No, but neither did the v8 calendar. Creating a tool that meets every need and request I've seen presented would probably take just as much time as a re-write of TheBrain itself. [wink]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Cerebrum
Seems to me that the intention is to display calendar events in a continuous format rather than in discrete days/weeks/months. It's a nice idea (after all, time is continuous, the zooming in and out is cool) but I'm puzzled that the Timeline has been presented as a replacement of the Calendar rather than as an additional feature, especially given the apparent similarity in the structure of the underlying data.

Like some other users here, I thought that the Timeline could be used to display historical events over a very long time span but events are not displayed for periods of time greater than one year. Too bad. There are many types of date information that I would like to store in TheBrain and display in a timeline covering centuries, e.g. dates for the birth and death of famous people, works of art and literature, monarchs and other rulers, wars and political events, and the development of various scientific, technological and cultural ideas.  It would be great to see all these different types of Event-Thoughts on a single timeline, color-coded by Type, with the option to filter which types are displayed. I could see implicit connections (around the same time, in the same cultural context) and make explicit connections by linking the thoughts. Potentially very powerful, and perhaps even useful ... [wink]
andreas
Cerebrum

Seems like parts of your brain look exactly like mine. I am a huge fan of James Burke and am collecting connections between history/technology/science. I bet there are many brains like this. @Harlan, here goes that idea of a large collaborative brain again... ;-)

I use the timeline to visualize deadlines in my current work and it is simply perfect because I do not need to change between applications. 

With visualization of history events, I see the problem that we overcrowd the timeline quite rapidly. Maybe the timestamp idea will work smoother, kind of a parallel tag, just for time. 

I do have thoughts like 1800-1900, 1900-2000, etc. to sort time events. Recently, I started to take full advantage of the new sorting options. The current political events get sorted by .2017001, .2017002 etc. I guess I will need to switch to .2017000001 looking at the pace of recent political events...
Moltaire
Cerebrum wrote:

Like some other users here, I thought that the Timeline could be used to display historical events over a very long time span but events are not displayed for periods of time greater than one year. Too bad. There are many types of date information that I would like to store in TheBrain and display in a timeline covering centuries, e.g. dates for the birth and death of famous people, works of art and literature, monarchs and other rulers, wars and political events, and the development of various scientific, technological and cultural ideas.  It would be great to see all these different types of Event-Thoughts on a single timeline, color-coded by Type, with the option to filter which types are displayed. I could see implicit connections (around the same time, in the same cultural context) and make explicit connections by linking the thoughts. Potentially very powerful, and perhaps even useful ... [wink]

My brain is very similar [smile]
mrsandbags
Just to reiterate for Patrick, Matt, and Harlan: I (am I alone in this?) still have no idea what the defining concept of the Time Line feature is. So far the best I have is that it's a replacement for the v8 Calendar (which I have never seen or used) and not what some people expected or wanted.

I'd love to see an overview of the use cases that lead to its being implemented. Maybe I would then be able to see how I can work with it. Clearly it's not for recording historical events... how do you guys actually use it?

m/
MOWER/VALDEMARIN

mcaton
Matt,

There's still more to come on the Timeline.  Google sync and notifications are on their way.  I'm sure we could create a list of scenarios that would work well in the Timeline.  Personally, I'm already setting up events for upcoming meetings, webinars, birthdays and travel plans.  You could also create a list of scenarios that would not work in the Timeline, such as the extinction of the Woolly Mammoth or the Assassination of Julius Caesar.  So while it might not be the perfect solution for a paleontologist, it works well (and is soon to work even better) for a project manager.

Matt
zenrain
I also listed quite a few things I was using it for and experimenting with somewhere in the big thread. I'd re-write it here, but frankly am feeling lazy and if someone can't think of a way to use a tool for viewing time based events that take place on the Gregorian calendar, I'm doubtful my feedback will help much. [wink]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software