lotusone
I keep forgetting that PersonalBrain is just a way to organize information sources (like documents, webpages, etc.) because I can see the possibility of so much more.

Right now, it is amazingly good at organizing individual data sources to each other, but not very good at associating the bits of data in the sources.

Once things like thought groups, and links from external apps and notes to individual thoughts in a brain are added, it will really be a "brain." Nobody thinks about the world at the level of entire documents; we piece together tiny bits of info - like sentence fragments, and combine them in unique ways.

When we can link small pieces of thoughts, notes and documents to other such pieces, the power of association will really open up.

PersonalBrain has replaced filesystem in my vocabulary, but is still waiting to be born as a "brain" with "thoughts"
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
igoldsmid1
Yes exactly!

Take a leaf out of the Microsoft OneNote 2007/2010 "book" .... you can link every location imaginable - right down to words in documents - if only OneNote had a visual component!

Ian Goldsmid
Darkstar
Keyboard nav isn't a biggie for me. Actually, I have to wonder what usage Dyslucksia is targetting, as from my experience very little of Dys's list is a biggie--- sorry, my friend. Labels with optional full time links? That would be somewhat useful at times, but why not also include optional labels always on for specific thoughts as well?

And being able to link INTO a PB at a specific thought from outside PB isn't that big deal. You can do this in PB 3, actually. And it wasn't very useful in other apps--- other than in PB 3 itself. In PB3, it was very useful for cross-linking brains.

What would be highly useful is--- user defined views. Especially with visual container functionality. That would allow you to have "one" thought hold all the links to specific bits sources, for instance, while being able to be abstracted in some information views, but fully shown in other information views. But I bet my friend Dys wouldn't find that nearly as useful as full keyboard equality.

I suppose it is how we envision being able to do the work we want to in Personal Brain.

LotusOne--- sounds like you should look into ZigZag. It is what DIRECTLY inspired the world wide web. If ZigZag (as it is now called) had been implemented, we'd already have that functionalty you ask for, LotusOne. In everything--- by design. Email, music, ebooks, web pages.

For the curious, check it out. It most likely won't meet your current needs, as it is much slower to develop, since the world has jumped on a different standard, but they are still slowly advancing it.
-Darkstar
lotusone
Thanks for the link, darkstar - i'll def check out zigzag.

I def agree on the user defined view idea - each type of thought could have a default view associated with it that could be overridden in individual thoughts e.g. a "todo list" type thought could automatically have children show up in outline view, perhaps sorted by due date (when the metadata feature comes out).

And the visual container sounds like the virtual thoughts I've seen discussed on the forums - groups of thoughts that act like one thought in some or all contexts.  Very, very useful!!
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software