stanhoffman
I must say that PB is really getting under my skin in the last few days I've been trying it out. Especially helpful was Jerry Michalski's site brain in getting a better feel for it.

I'm trying to find criteria for determining when a thought is a Thought in PB, and when it should be part of a document attached to a thought. Here's an example I've been playing with. I'm trying to illustrate the relationships between identical terms that show up in different schemas, both of which are central to the Buddhist understanding of how the mind works. This is just the tip of the iceberg because each term can be elaborated on at length (for example, one has 52 subcategories).

First I tried to show the relationships in PB (see below). This has it's benefits, but it is difficult to get it to display in a way that facilitates seeing the relationships.

Then I did it in OmniGraffle (also below). This is much more pleasing aesthetically as well as much clearer, at least when viewing the relationships from one particular perspective. However, to access it from PB requires opening an attachment. Is there a way to get PB to display the OmniGraffle document in the Notes pane?

I would be interested in hearing how others are dealing with the issue of when a thought becomes a Thought and when the details of a Thought's contents are better stored in another type of document.

Thanks,

Stan

Click image for larger version - Name: PersonalBrain003.jpg, Views: 654, Size: 48.44 KB Click image for larger version - Name: OmniGraffle_Professional001.jpg, Views: 657, Size: 28.21 KB
Spacenexus
Stan

I understand the issue you raise and have experienced it several times. There are times when an alternative solution provides a superior capture of a set of localised information. I often create summaries of interesting books, meeting notes, project brainstorms or other sets of discreet information in MindManager. That MM file then becomes an attachment to the main thought in the brain.

The thing is not to be too focussed on the notes approach to display embedded files. For example, you wouldn't necessarily have the contents of a pdf report, or an entire website in the notes section. I am sure you'll quite happily have a spreadsheet file as a thought attachement without considering whether the array should have been a set of child thoughts or a table in notes! It just so happens that that mental mapping you created appeared to lend itself to PB. With the forthcoming save expanded view option (I'm assuming you have seen the expanded view layout since your image shows the standard layout), a separate brain might well have been the answer but your OmniGraffle solution looks just fine for the job.

There was a previous feature request to have the choice to open attachments as a PB window (which might provide the effect you were looking for with notes).

I've got hundreds of separate MindManager files within my single PB, right along with office documents, images etc. My advice is to treat PB as the conductor of your software ensemble (I personally very rarely open a file or create a file outside of the PB environment). Go ahead and make that OmniGraffle file a thought attachment within your main brain file.

Perhaps the questions raised by Shiko on information strategies might also be useful reading (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2045211).

cheers

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
stanhoffman
Yes, including the OmniGraffle file as an attachment is probably the best way to go. Just for the sake of experiment, I tried a few more ways to structure the information within PB that I'm attaching below. The previous attempt did not dhow the circular relationship of the twelve elements. And I already have the link you gave stashed away in my embryonic "main brain." Thanks!
Click image for larger version - Name: PersonalBrain002.jpg, Views: 617, Size: 37.82 KB Click image for larger version - Name: PersonalBrain003.jpg, Views: 617, Size: 39.11 KB
rengel
If you make a screenshot of your OmniGraffle picture you can put it into the 'Notes' of a thought. Then it will be shown, if you just move the mouse over the thought. That's great for quickly finding something, without the need to open an attachment.
Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
Harlan
You can also paste a screenshot as a thought icon and use the icon zooming effect...
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software