rengel
I've reported a certain link direction bug several months ago (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/link-changes-direction-6623949?pid=1280396998#post1280396998).
If one can't depend on TheBrain to keep the link direction straight, this feature is useless.
This is not "feature request" but a real bug.
Because nothing has happened (pertains to TB 8.0.1.2) I've given up to report bugs.

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
zenrain
I've reported bugs over the course of the years which either are yet to be resolved or were addressed 6-12 months later in a major release, so I understand your frustration. It can be a bit discouraging to report issues and have them re-reported by others months later and remain unaddressed.

I feel that reporting bugs both in the forum and via support mails have a two prong effect. They help the company and therefore the software by pointing out issues they have missed. This gives folks at TheBrain the opportunity to resolve them in future releases.

I hope it also benefits the community. If I post them here, hopefully it keeps one person from banging their head trying to figure out what is going on.

Just my thoughts.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Spacenexus
I can concur with the frustration. But, as I surmised in this post back in 2007 (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/pb-on-a-pda-1824390) there is a trade-off with resources:

Quote:
Personally i'd be up for the team concentrating on continued development of the PC/Mac based versions rather than investing additional effort on mobile devices, which all seem to have their individual requirements

to which Harlan subsequently added:

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Jim. Yes, we're on the same page here. Unfortunately, our engineering resources are limited and the mobile device platforms are numerous indeed. There is definately a 'cool factor' here, but I'm not sure that the usefulness can justify the efforts. Anyhow, once you can put your Brain online, you could access it from your mobile device also.

Of course, the team at TheBrain have performed admirably and diligently in providing carefully crafted and integrated mobile solutions on the iOS and Android platforms. The result is that development and support on the primary desktop clients has visibly suffered. The user base demanded the mobile apps and the team responded, with predicted consequences; I am also frustrated at the slowdown in support - my megabrain limps along for 2 years now with critical crashes and latchups (seemingly every time i try and use it in meetings) but what to do. I am resigned to the issue being practically unsolvable as i reach the conclusion by evidence that the team is overstretched on mobile integration. Perhaps this will swing back within another year or two as the mobile development reaches steady state. That assumption also rests on the fact that the mobile solutions gain widespread adoption so that some well deserved additional revenue streams can be realized. However, competition in the mobile space for note taking apps is fierce and there are frankly (sorry to say) superior executions for standalone utilities. Which brings us back to a possible quandary, if the above assumptions are valid - even having tested the premise of widespread market reach by mobile utility, TheBrain may remain a niche product for enthusiastic users passionate about the product and engaged in the associative mapping approach to information management.

The fact that there are still outstanding critical desktop utility and stability issues more akin to a beta after 17 years of usage, despite the beautiful feature developments gets to the heart of the problem. In trying to respond to the demands of the user base, quality has been sacrificed for quantity. All indications based on assumption, is that the team is overstretched on all these platforms.

As a deliberately managed solution, I would accept an entire Brain v9 desktop version without a single new feature, but a complete overhaul of bugs, performance issues and anomalies. How about a call to action which would give the development team some breathing room? I call for v9 to be a quality consolidation release. Don't create new arbitrary features, just attend to the problems that exist. That would require a deep engagement on behalf of support to actively reach out to users on this forum and attend to the issues raised and SOLVE THEM. Not just make motion to have a call, or an email exchange but commit to solutions. I would suggest that the team commit to a Release Version 9 by January 1 2016 - yes, that's almost a year and half but if we want to fix this problem together as a community then that's what the v9 beta program will take alongside continued mobile development. All this assumes that it also resonates with the corporate strategy of TheBrain, and this suggestion is made without knowledge of their strategy so it might be total coconuts.

All in favor of a V9 Quality Consolidation Release by 1st January 2016, say 'aye'!

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
enkidu
Hello

"As a deliberately managed solution, I would accept an entire Brain v9 desktop version without a single new feature, but a complete overhaul of bugs, performance issues and anomalies."

sorry but your premise is simply not acceptable for a user. I was one of the first to purchase Version 8, I suspect, but I am one of the first to say it has next-to-no functional novelties. TheBrain will die off soon if it does not introduce new "smart" (meaning "intelligent") features like : path analysis between thoughts, dynamic views (as opposed as user-painstakingly-manually-drawn) and similar.
I've been reading about your various performance troubles with an interested eye, because you seem to push TheBrain near its limits.
My brains are puny by cmparison, so I simply dont have your perf issues. But let me put this to you : if you had an excel spreadsheet of similar proportions to your brain (as many lines as you have thoughts, as many external links to web or network drives, and similar file size), would you expect it to be as snappy as a normal-sized spreadsheet ?

Software is tricky stuff, and we often tend to confuse bugs with technical limitations. I have a quadcore, powerful by any standard. Yet Firefox with a dozen tabs open (gmail, bbc, weather, a few youtube pages for music, this forum) can grind it to a halt, but I'm not blaming Firefox, rather, the people who write bad Adobe Flash plugins for their websites.

I think that TheBrain as a team have taken the ONLY decision they had to take in order to survive : go mobile. If they had not gotten out a mobile version this year, TheBrain would have died off pretty soon (and I'm NOT a mobile user, mind you).
The next, INEVITABLE step they must not miss is NEW, USEFUL, FEATURES. Bugfixing is a fact of life, but it does not widen the user base, hence the revenues, hence the resources needed to bugfix.

my 2€ cents..
enkidu

Spacenexus
Enkidu

You make valid points and I appreciate your comments from your perspective which make sense. My premise may not appear acceptable to you but that does not mean it is not also perfectly valid. I would not expect my
100,000 cell Excel spreadsheet to latch up every 10 minutes just because I pan the sheet. Nor should you. Your additional features sound great but once again, you display precisely the issue I illustrated at the heart of the problem - the demand for quantity of new features and mobile platforms has stretched the production team. You're simply not going to see 'path analysis between thoughts, dynamic views' and all the other features you think are important to you because TheBrain doesn't appear to have resources to maintain quality on what is produced right now, let alone add demanding new features. If you look at the threats to organizations throughout history, a great deal of problems exist when quality of the product suffers. I should point out that for the most part TheBrain software is running very well, the database and critical integrity of the system appears solid, save for a legacy corruption or two. However, if we persistently fail on quality, the experience suffers. In the end, TheBrain is a visual tool. If it fails to perform on visual fidelity that is a bigger threat than continued lack of path analysis. As an example, yet another thread covering this issue: http://forums.thebrain.com/post/pb6035-wide-ranging-latencies-4848150.

I agree, the decision to go mobile was inevitable, even by customer pressure. What I am suggesting is that a consolidation period is required to rebalance the quality of the UX.

Thanks for your thoughts, worth more than 2c I'm sure.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
pthompson
Rengel,

I'm not sure why this bug was overlooked. I have checked and it was indeed reported back Mar. 2012. It may have fallen through the cracks because of the label given to the bug, but I will follow up with our engineers again on this to see if we can get it resolved as quickly as possible.
enkidu
Jim,

Quote:

My premise may not appear acceptable to you but that does not mean it is not also perfectly valid

Indeed, premises & ideas are not hyearchical, but a network of equals !

cheers
enkidu
mctrexler
I just happened to notice that 8.0.1.3 Read Me file suggests that the link direction problem has been fixed in the release.  Haven't tested it yet.
rengel
See my new post 'Too nice to be true!'.

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software