igoldsmid Show full post »
Harlan
Since 4.0.4.7, wildcard search is supported on the full search.

Append an asterisk (*) at the end of a search term to find all matches starting with that term.

This is not supported in the instant search, which is designed to be instant and thus doesn't support advanced expressions which can be done in the full search.

Regards,
-Harlan
grave
But why not to use only asterisk (*) wildcard at the beginning of a instant search?  All thoughts names indexed, and using * is not a problem?

EverNote using method like this in instant search field - it's very handily.
JosefBetancourt
I just got hit with the search support in PB4.  Using search, quick or advanced, I cannot find the thought named "open source families".  Of course, 'famil' won't work in quick search, but even in advanced search entering 'families' into the "At least one of the words" field returns 10 pages, and after paging thru three of these pages, I still don't see that thought.  

So, I vote for wild card search support (been asking for regular expressions for years!).

Harlan
I'm not sure what you mean by:

grave wrote:
But why not to use only asterisk (*) wildcard at the beginning of a instant search?  All thoughts names indexed, and using * is not a problem?

The instant activate list is generated without using the general search index and so is very different from the full search results.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
JosefBetancourt wrote:
I just got hit with the search support in PB4.  Using search, quick or advanced, I cannot find the thought named "open source families".  Of course, 'famil' won't work in quick search, but even in advanced search entering 'families' into the "At least one of the words" field returns 10 pages, and after paging thru three of these pages, I still don't see that thought.  

So, I vote for wild card search support (been asking for regular expressions for years!).

Josef,

Regular expressions are supported. You can use quotes for phrase matching, plus you can use AND OR and NOT operators with (parens) for precendence. Wildcard search IS also supported by using * as the trailing character. Finally, PB4's search automatically does word stemming so "family" matches "families" automatically.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software