pvonk
I have worked with a number of "database" apps over the years, developing systems for storing thoughts/data/documents related to investing.  With TB 8 and before (to Personal Brain) I made use of the  brain's calendar to set alerts attached to time sensitive material.  These materials, consisting of analysis articles, notes of current market conditions, company ratings, etc., go stale (usually measured in months or a year or two - at least for my investment outlook).  Other material like reference articles that discuss investing methodologies have a longer term (for all practical purposes - infinite) life.  It has always been a challenge to design a near-automatic system to prune data files of outdated information.

I've begun testing the new TB9 and have wondered how to set up a structure that lets me easily prune data.  Back when I used Evernote, I'd define tags like "2016" and "jan".  At the end of each month I'd search for articles expiring the previous month using tags like the previous two.  I've also used a similar approach in other apps.  Doing searches for files/notes/what-have-you by referencing the item's creation date is one way to go, but this doesn't allow you to have data that expires after various amounts of time and for permanent reference material.

Does anyone have any ideas about approaches to this problem of pruning data in TB9?  Is there a way of identifying a lifetime for any data added to TheBrain?  One thought I had was defining a parent node for each brain node that indicates when to "review" it for possible pruning.  But I felt that this would soon create way too many synapses in the brain (being no different than tagging thoughts).  I'm not ready to give this up, but thought someone may have a far better way to approach the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreau
zenrain
So first, I've seen rumblings in the forum and elsewhere about a date specific something showing up at some point. So you might want to wait a bit.

However, one idea that came to mind is that for your permanent stuff, just add it. (I know, but I'm not quite done yet... sheesh).
For the time sensitive stuff, add a tag called Temp (and if you want to get fancy, give the tag an icon and set the preferences to only show the icon for tags).

Then what you could do is run a report, and condition it for the Temp tag. Then set the Time field to modified between and set it for 3 months ago (although if you just imported, this won't work as all thoughts will be modified as of the import date). This will allow you to easily find and cull old time sensitive thoughts. 

Another idea (which on thinking about it is 68.76% awesomer than the first)
TheBrain 9 includes Labels in Instant Search… This may seem sorta "meh" when you first hear about it but I'm actually STILL coming up with great uses for this new feature.

Soo. you could create a thought, set the Label to "Expire January"

Then do an instant search for "Expire Jan". Boom. There are your thoughts.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
pvonk
Thanks, I'll give it some thought and trial runs.  About the Label idea, it doesn't sound much different than having a tag.  Is there something about Labels that have an advantage? 
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreau
zenrain

Well, if you used tags you'd have to have multiple if you want to group thoughts by a specific date to expire (unless the report suggestion will work for you). For Example "Expire January", "Expire February", "Expire March". That could add up to be a lot of tags for one thing. I prefer to keep my list o'tags short, sweet and targeted to specific and frequent uses.

Labels are just text. So as long as you set a standard verbiage up front, you can then type whatever you want and then search on that text to see all the thoughts to expire. The downside is you can't activate them all at the same time and you have to remember the standard search verbiage to use (which in my case would mean I write it as a note on a thought called "Expiry Search" or something fancy).

I'm starting to think of labels as "alternate search keywords" for my thoughts. [smile]

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software