agnor
Hi,

In this post: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2355829&trail=15

I mention the idea of writing by compiling many documents into one final document.  In short:

Quote:
The basic idea behind the Rapid Text Construction stuff is that you insert the contents of your PB attachment into the word processor document, in hopes that any changes to the PB attachment are already reflected in the word processor document the next time you open it

and I just now stumbled upon a seemingly good method of doing so, by taking advantage of something called "master documents" in Open Office:

http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?page_id=22

You create a master document, and then sub documents;  it's my thinking that sub documents can be PB attachments.  Any updates to those should appear in the master document next time you open it.

I'll give it a try soon on a paper I need to write by Thursday, and I'll report back on what I find.

edit: another link for this:  http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1230368,00.html

Googling "open office master documents" turns up quite a number of results.

agnor
An update on this post.

I ended up not making use of any existing documents due to the small size of my paper (2,000 words).  However, since my paper dealt with various religious movements and periods of time, I'm going to split my paper into separate chunks for each topic and store them in my brain.

That way, next time I have to write about any of those movements (or time periods from a certain prospective), all I have to do is include the writing I've already done.

simplebutgood
I'm not sure if Brain is the right tool for writing or composing bigger texts out of smaller chunks. Apart from visualizing everything nicely Brain doesn't seem to offer many features in this direction or did I miss anything important?

I didn't check your Open Office master documents idea yet.

If I offer anything else for this purpose? Yes, Leo.
Darkstar
Literary Machine does well at keeping smaller chunks and letting you arrange them as you like. You certainly could effectively create your smaller paper using a "project" (an outline) and then ordering your smaller chunks in that. And later in the year, when you are working on another paper and want to include a chunk on a subject you've already did, you could then just insert that chunk into the new "project".

That's what Literary Machine was designed to do. But it isn't a very graphical tool--- it is visually based on notecards.

I've used it in the past for smaller articles. Did pretty well for me.

LM comes in a couple of flavors--- simple and free, and $$$ for pro (has a lot of extra features in it, like export project to into ebook standard file format).

I find it a good companion tool to PB. PB gives me the "grand overview", and LM lets me tinker at the smallest level.

You can check out LM at: http://www.sommestad.com/lm.htm if you are interested.
-Darkstar
agnor
Hi SimpleButGood,

The basic idea that I came across was that we often have chunks of text that can stand alone on their own.  For instance, my latest paper for class (the one I mentioned that I had to write in this post) had three basic sections, each dealing with certain religious movements over time.  What I plan on doing is separating these into discrete chunks.  Then, if I ever need to write about them again, I can just include the file directly rather than rewriting it, and make any intro/conclusion ties into the rest of the document.

I don't see it being feasible for smaller text chunks like quotations--just too much work for little gain.

agnor
Darkstar,

Funny that you should mention LM.  I actually intended to do so myself   I've been fiddling with it for years now,and was glad to see that LM2007 is out.

I used it to write a paper a few years ago.  The "note card" style was quite handy for that paper.  I might return to the program to see if I can find a nice way to make use of both PB and LM.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software