Leslieinva
I have a lot of data I'd like to import into PB 4.1.  I know about the key values for Thoughts & Links & have imported that data successfully, but can't seem to import my Notes into PB.

What are the valid xml datatypes & values for the these 4 fields:
  • Entries: 
    • EntryObject
    • body
  • EntryObjects 
    • objectType
    • objectID

mbaas
That is a good question

I assume you want to "import" by putting the XML into the clipboard and then paste thoughts? I think 4.1 will not support Notes in that sort of import...

4.2, however, will do that - and the body is #PCDATA and is the HTML of the note. ((including a properly XMLized <head>-statement etc....)

Or have I misunderstood someting, or drawn wrong conclusions?

Leslieinva
Hi mbass,

I figured a Note would go in the body field, but can you explain what you mean by "the body is #PCDATA and is the HTML of the note"?  I'm still wondering what goes in EntryObject, objectType & objectID.

Yes I did mean to copy the xml to the clipboard & paste.  I didn't know there was a version 4.2.

mbaas
Leslie,

#PCDATA is the DTD-style of saying "character data".

Here is a sample-entry:

Quote:
  <Entries>
    <Entry>
      <guid>A35DE9B0-1CDF-3109-28F6-8CBBF5FBD075</guid>
      <EntryObjects>
        <EntryObject>
          <objectType>0</objectType>
          <objectID>5A969EEE-DD0D-F28E-E142-46D7B1E70004</objectID>
        </EntryObject>
      </EntryObjects>
      <body>&lt;html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
&lt;meta content="EditLive! 6.3.1.8" name="generator" /&gt;
&lt;meta content="PersonalBrain 4.2.0.9" name="generator" /&gt;
&lt;meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /&gt;
&lt;link href="file:///C:/Programme/PersonalBrain/V42/res/notes.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" /&gt;
&lt;/head&gt;
&lt;body&gt;
&lt;p&gt;text of child&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;/body&gt;
&lt;/html&gt;</body>
      <creationDateTime>2007-12-14 10:54:35.421</creationDateTime>
      <modificationDateTime>2008-02-29 18:28:36.406</modificationDateTime>
    </Entry>
  </Entries>

The 2 guids may need explanation...

As far as I have figured out, the 1st one is a new GUID, specific to that entry. And the object-ID links the entry to the thought, so it is the thought's GUID.

But as I said, this will work with 4.2 only, 4.1 ignores these tags...

HTH

Michael 

P.S: I would really like to see a File|Import|*.XML-Option to import from XML-Files, as I always fear hitting some maxlength-limit when relying on Clipboard-paste...

Leslieinva
mbaas,

THANKS for the help!  That worked great with 4.2.  It copied right in with a thought I had already created once I aligned the guids. 

One odd thing though - the notes would not update if I changed the xml's Entry body.  I had to start completely over with a new brain & copy/paste to get the updated notes to show up.  Let me know if you know of a way to get changes to the Entry body to overwrite an existing one.

mbaas
Leslie, AFAIK this feature currently will always insert the thoughts as new copies, it won't update existing thoughts
Leslieinva
My copy didn't insert the thoughts as new copies, it updated them, except for the Notes which were neither updated or inserted as new.  Thoughts remained untouched.

Curious, what does AFAIK mean?

mbaas
That is strange - I guess we need a mastermind now
<shouting>Harlan</shouting>
AFAIK=As far as I know - but now we know that I'm at the end of my ropes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software